Sunday, January 24, 2010

Happenings around here...

So much has been happening lately...
Besides getting grayer and grayer... {{sigh}},
and crankier and crankier
and having my own personal paradises MID WINTER...
{thank you pre MENopause}
A lot has been going on that has made me smile.
**
FINALS ARE OVER.. for my boys...
The weeks building up to, and the week of Finals... is nothing but stress, strife and copious amounts of work for my sons...
This school doesn't mess around when it comes to grades, finals, and college apps.
I try not to get involved in all the
"My son has straight A's and Harvard, Princeton and Yale, are all looking at him...where's your son applying?" drama...
The second you enter this school, college, getting into the right one, and setting up your career plan is first and foremost... don't get me wrong... I love it... it's exactly what I pay for...
loads of structure, small classes, lots of sports and programs not offered in pulic schools... however... it's really, really, really hard to dodge the "What is your son's top Five picks for college" by all the other Mom's... and... William got one "B". A "B-" at that... and THAT fact would make so many of the other Mom's incredibly happy, it makes me sick...
That B- doesn't bother me in the least...
He worked sooooo hard that for grade.
All his other grades were great...
One Mom asked me the other day while I was selling pizza after finals one day...
"So... how are Will's grades?"
I said... "Fine".
She said... All A's again?
I said... "No, I think he got a B- in Chemistry.
This information made her GASP! Gasp!!!!
It was funny to watch her mind race to all the conclusions as to why, how, when, and where I failed as a Mother.
I laughed out loud at her gasp.
She laughed an uncomfortable laugh, I suspect because she caught her reaction and how stupid it was... or she thought I was kidding.
I told her.. "I'm so proud of him... he plays sports until 7:30 every night and on Saturdays, and still gets all his work done...
She then informed me that her son got an A in Chemistry... he's a Senior...
I had to say it...
I said... 'Oh, he's a Senior and he's just now taking Chemistry? Will's a Sophomore... he'll be taking Anatomy and Physiology, and Calculus next year for college credit..."
She suddenly had to go...
LOL!
I just HAD to...
I never engage with those women... but I just HAD to this time.
***
Alex, does NOT have the grades William has... and I am just as proud of him.
He's astute, his teachers adore him, and he too, is playing sports at school until 7 p.m. everyday and adjusting to a very, very tough curriculum... and doing his best...
and that's all I can ask for.
***
Bill has started on a new project... and I CAN'T WAIT!
He is building me a HUGE, outdoor FIREPLACE!!!
We are getting rid of the firepit, and making our pool area an outdoor living room.
The "beach" is going, and making way for cement. I bought a huge GRAPEVINE cement stamp and I am itching to use it.
I'll take lots of before, during and after pics... and post them with progress...
The boys are working really hard, helping and lifting and hoisting...
Builds character, muscles and skills you just can't learn in school.
I feel sooo blessed to be married to a man that can and does build everything...himself...
Hopefully, he'll move quickly on it, so we can use it before the weather gets too hot.
We are also going to get our pool resurfaced, and we {my hubby and kids} will be doing the deck themselves, to save about $8,000. The pool part, we have to hire out...bummer.
***
Tomorrow starts a new semester.. new electives... and a fresh new start...
for 2 of my kids anyway...
Johnny still has never had a B on his report card, and never ceases to remind his brothers of that fact...
Ahhh... 5th grade...
He so has no idea what the school I'm putting him into (his brother's) has in store for him...
LOL!

4 comments:

  1. That was funny about the "chemistry" encounter-good for you. Love how you stand up for your sons!

    Your building project sounds really nice too. Definitely is a blessing to have a man who can do the work himself. Great that the boys get to help too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the updates on your family-the school drama (I get it-), the outdoor fireplace (envious-)-I love hearing about your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment to the oh, so , full-of-it mother was priceless. Had to be Holy Spirit inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here getting caught up on my blog reading!!! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Comments! I just loooooove comments!
If you have a blog, I will come visit and comment on yours!!! I promise! No Anonymous comments though... if you can't play nice.. you can't play at all.