Friday, April 16, 2010

American Kids VS. Italian Kids.

THIS IS A RE POST... I LOVED IT SO MUCH, I THOUGHT IT MERITED ANOTHER GO...

I know... I know... My kids are Americans, as am I... BUT! My kids are experiencing things that only truly, really ethnic families can relate to in their lives, and how they are brought up.
My children didn't have the luck that I had growing up, by being brought up by immigrant parents, and living in Little Italy (my house) for 24 years. They are, however learning to love their Italian Heritage, savor it, live it when they can, and really get into it.
I try to make my home and bringing them up as close as I can to the way I was brought up.
My son Alex LOVES listening to his Nonno talk. He LOVES the accent, and tries to mimic it all the time.
So last night, I was googling around and stumbled across this little ditty and I thought it was so funny and so right on the mark when it comes to my kidlets!
So here goes!
***
American Kids: Move out when they are 18 with the full support of their parents
Italian Kids: Move out when they are 28, having saved enough money for a house and are 2 weeks away from getting married... unless there's enough room in the basement for the newlyweds.
American Kids: When their Mom visits them, she brings a Bundt cake and you sip coffee and chat.
Italian Kids: When their Mom visits them, she brings 3 days worth of food, begins to tidy up, dust, do the laundry and rearrange the furniture. (yep)
American Kids: Their Dads always call before coming over to visit them, and it's usually only on special occasions.
Italian Kids: Are not at all fazed when their Dad shows up, unannounced, on a Saturday morning at 7 a.m., and starts pruning the fruit trees. If there are no trees, he'll plant some!
(Oh my God, that is SOOOO MY PAPA!)
American Kids: Always pay retail and look on the internet or yellow pages when they need to have something done.
Italian Kids: Call their Dad or Zio (uncle) fand ask another Dad or Uncle's phone number to get it done... cash deal...know what I mean? (Done that a few times in my lifetime!)
American Kids: Will come over for cake and coffee and only get cake and coffee. No more.
Italian Kids: Will come over for cake and coffee, and GET antipasti, wine, a pasta dish, a choice of two meats, salad, bread, a cannoli, fruit, espresso, and few after dinner drinks.
American Kids: Will greet you with "Hello" and "Hi"
Italian Kids: Will greet you with a hug, a kiss on your cheek, and a pat on your back.
American Kids: Call your parents Mr. and Mrs.
Italian Kids: Call your parents Mom and Pop.
American Kids: Eat Peanut Butter and Jelly on soft mushy White Bread
Italian Kids: Eat Genoa Salami and Imported Provolone with sundried tomatoes and roasted red peppers on crusty Italian bread.
(OMG, I pack that in my kids lunches every day!)
American Kids: Like Hip Hop and new Music
Italian Kids: Worship Tony Bennett and Sinatra (Uncle Frank)
American Kids: Think that being Italian is cool
Italian Kids: KNOW that being Italian is cool!

3 comments:

  1. Will you adopt me?? I want to be Italian!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still laughing. I can really relate to you and your family. I just saw a bit of your blog but enough to understand it all! My kids are still young and being raised so far in Italy with an Italian American mom and Italian dad so we are experiencing lots of new things as well. Another Italian American mom,Lucia
    www.living-italy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being Italian! I am glad your kids love it too! and this was a GREAT bring back post!

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Comments! I just loooooove comments!
If you have a blog, I will come visit and comment on yours!!! I promise! No Anonymous comments though... if you can't play nice.. you can't play at all.