Wednesday, December 31, 2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR, MY FRIENDS

I love this time of year... sort of.
While I don't particularly love all the hussle and bustle that is the train wreck of Christmas...
I so love how I automatically wax philosophical when the New Year Rolls around.
It just turns me into a bowl of noodles... every time.
***
I have run the gammot of resolutions in my 40 1/2 years.
I've resolved to lose weight,
get organized,
do more charity work,
visit more people,
spend less money,
give more to others,
etc...
Some of them I have accomplished... some... well... not so much.
A few years back... I even resolved never to resolve again.
It was just too much pressure, and, being the type of person I am, I really didn't feel all
that guilty if I didn't follow through with resolutions. I just don't feel the need to beat myself up, when the world is going to do it for me anyway...
(Yes, I am a cynic... you are JUST NOW seeing that? ha!)
***
BUT, on a positive note... there are some resolutions that I loved and DID follow through with that I still continue today.
***
In 1994, I resolved to write my then unborn children, a letter every year on their birthday to tell them how much I loved them, and the things they accomplished etc...
I still do that to this day.
***
In 2000, I resolved to write EVERY person I loved, what I called a Millenium Letter, to tell that person what and how they changed my life. It took me weeks and a lot of happy tears to get those written, and I hear, they all still have the letters. Every once in a while, they tell me so.
***
In 1992, I vowed not to be a BRIDEZILLA, and let my Mama have the wedding of her dreams with my wedding. I was the most calm, cool and collected bride ever. I didn't worry about one single solitary thing, and she threw us one hell of a spectacular Italian wedding.
***
In 1994, I resolved to forgive my parents for divorcing when I was 22. That was a tough one, but I was pregnant with their first grandbaby, and I wanted to be on good terms with them in my heart, not just in my mind and mouth.
***
In 2002, I noticed I had been doting on the kids for so long, that I forgot to dote on the man that gave them to me, and takes such great care of us every day, My hubby, so in 2002, I resolved to put my marriage ahead of my children, and it has made me a better mother, and my kids get to see MORE of why Bill and I are together. My kids will be TREMENDOUS fathers because of their role model in Bill.
***
This year, I resolve to tell my Mama I love and adore her every single day.
She craves attention from me, and because I know that, sometimes I withhold... isn't that crazy? It's like it's involuntary. Well, no more. I will initiate all the hugs and kisses and "I love you's" from now on. I love her so much it hurts, and I just need to let her know that more often.
My being the type of person that doesn't need confirmation on love and all that mushy stuff, I fail to see the need in others... and she is definitely a mushy type person. We are polar opposites. I will be mushy with my Mama, and shower her with demonstrative love she wants and needs from her only daughter.
***
yeah, yeah, yeah... I resolve to lose weight...
That's all I'll say on THAT matter...
***
I will start a new business this year.
What? Who knows!
I just love open ended resolutions...don't you?
***
Be kind to yourself today, and for 2009. Hug more, love more, spend more time...
Spend less, get outta debt, give more of you and realize your wallet is not YOU.
Tomorrow... is a day of endless possibilities.
Please make sure you are alive to see them, and don't drink and drive.
Thank you to all my friends and family that have read this blog this year.
I still get all weepy and mushy when I think that people actually read what I have to say.
I am so ridiculously flattered and touched.
***
Here's to a happy, healthy, prosperous, joyous,
NEW YEAR!
FROM ME...
TO YOU...
2009!!!

11 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope that 2009 brings you great joy:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New year!!!
    I am the same as you, I withhold that love from my mom and I know she desires it so much... not sure why I do this, unresolved issues I suppose!
    I love the idea of a letter to my children on their birthdays, I think I will start that too.
    2008 seems to have been good to you!!
    Have a wonderful evening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year!!! And I adore the resolutions you have kept!! I bet there are more. Here's one resolution for you for 2009, please keep blogging!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year. Thanks for a fun reading/baking year. Keep it up in 2009!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, happy New Year, Sandra! Such wonderful resolutions you've kept - and few that have inspired me! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, Mel, Letti, Ade,Sandy, Debora...

    HAPPY NEW YEAR MY LOVES! Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and it sounds like you have achieved some great resolutions already. You have a gorgeous soul and it shines through each of your posts. Enjoy New Years and I hope 2009 brings you everything you and your family could possibly wish for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year to You! I love what you posted about... I love what you said about your hubby-so true, and so sweet about what you said...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lilly, you made me cry with at "gorgeous soul" statement... I may have to paint it on a wall!

    Ruby...Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy new year! I'm sure any endeavors and/or resolutions you pursue will be worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Comments! I just loooooove comments!
If you have a blog, I will come visit and comment on yours!!! I promise! No Anonymous comments though... if you can't play nice.. you can't play at all.