Monday, December 1, 2008

Insomnia

Have you ever seen or heard those ads on the radio and on TV about insomnia?
I have to admit... I couldn't understand how someone couldn't get to sleep at night.
I am definitely a night person... and I'm usually not in bed until at least midnight.
I enjoy having all the people I love asleep while I get my work done, knowing they are all safe and warm, and I don't have to run out and pick anyone up from somewhere.
I didn't understand how someone could be up all night, not able to fall asleep.
I thought maybe they napped during the day or slept in too much and they didn't need a sleep aid. I am a cynic from wwaaayyy back.
Although I don't get to bed early, I am an early riser. Even on weekends, I am up by 6:30 at the latest. I don't know why...my internal body clock must have me on "Time for school" mode.
I never understood insomnia...
UNTIL LAST WEEK!
***
I swear... I think I got a total of 10 hours sleep in 4 days from Wed to last night.
I tossed and turned all night Wed. night.
Didn't get to sleep until 5 a.m., then was up at 6:30 for no good reason.
My hubby slept until NOON!!! NOON!
He works and commutes 2 hours away everyday and leaves for work at 4 a.m. so I cut him lots of slack.
Thursday, although I have 1 1/2 hours of sleep, that night I didn't get to sleep until 3 a.m. and was up at 6 to get William to soccer practice.
Same thing Friday and Saturday.
Last night, I drank a huge cup of Chamomile tea, took at hot shower, laid down with a boring book, and played soothing music and STILL couldn't get to sleep until 1:30!
WHAT WRONG WITH ME!!!
Don't tell me to take sleep aids... THAT WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER happen. EVER!
***
I'm not tired today, I'm not worried about anything, my parents are okay, my kids are fine, my house is moderately clean...
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!!!
I thrive on 6-7 hours of sleep, and I'm not getting more than 3-4 right now!
I feel fine... but I notice I am more snippy than usual... and I am making a ton of mistakes typing this and having to fix them.
I'm pooped... but I am afraid to sleep during the day. I never nap. Ever. Unless I am on vacation, and then, it seems I take one everyday.
Maybe I should take a power nap... like 20 minutes. They say that replenishes you, but doesn't upset normal rhythms.
Oy vay!
Do any of your ever have spurts of insomnia?
Is it normal? I'm 40 now... could that be it? I'm actually almost 40 1/2! LOL!
This may be why I have been so emotional lately.
Today, I cried when my bank gave me back $64 they inadvertantly charged me for that $470.00 charge from QVC... which by the way, was given back to me promptly.
The poor Indian man on the phone that reversed the charges was on the verge of tears himself.
He was so happy he could help me in my time of need, and he wanted me to have a wonderful Christmas and a Merry New Year.
He said his name was Paul Jones... but you and I know his real name was something like
Purim Rashamedesham.
No matter... we both wept with joy over my $64 windfall.
It was a moment. We had a moment.
Maybe insomnia will make me a nicer, better person.
Nah... no such luck.
I'm going to drink caffiene now, and fold a mountain of laundry.
I know... everyone wants to be me right now.
You can't have my glamorous life.
It's all mine.
Neener... Neener.

7 comments:

  1. OMG I couldnt sleep last night. I went to sleep at about 3:45 and woke up at 6:30 UGH...Maybe the turkey day is wearing on me, triptophan must have the reverse effect days later...lol Have a restful night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My, you poor woman and poor Purim Rashamedesham, I am glad you got your credit!

    I can understand insomniacs very well, I am one at times. I have gotten better with age. But I go thru spurts of not being able to sleep much, waking at 1:30 AM (I go to bed early) and not going back to sleep... I feel ya!

    I hope you start sleeping better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole, Mimi.. thx. I wish I had a bottle of sleep like on the cartoons... you know... Sylvester pulls out a bottle and pops the cap and it's a big hammer and he bops himself on the head! haa ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL, You are too funny... even when you're sleep deprived. I will occassionally have one or two nights where I find it impossible for no apparent reason to get to sleep. Mostly the week before my period. I feel fine... just can't sleep. Blaming it on hormones is always a safe bet ;-) I usually stay up until 2a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a happy merry SITSmas!
    ~Tam :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have slept a full night since my pregnancy.My mind whirls...I wake up over and over again. I'm exhausted some days, and still can not sleep.
    I hope you get to sleep tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh boy! It really sucks! I'm a long time sufferer! Don't knock sleep aids until you've tried them. I don't say that casually. Thankfully, I don't use them regularly even when I can't sleep. It's very much a last resort. Snippy, I'll give you snippy! Lack of sleep is horrible Saundra!! It does all kinds of crazy things to your body. Which, is why I must take the occasional pill. Our bodies must have the rest. I'm only able to sleep a max of 6 hours. But if I sleep straight through I feel like a new woman.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Comments! I just loooooove comments!
If you have a blog, I will come visit and comment on yours!!! I promise! No Anonymous comments though... if you can't play nice.. you can't play at all.