Thursday, March 5, 2009

Writers Workshop

Is it just me? Or was MamaKat a tad late in getting the prompts out this week?
I didn't even see these until this morning!
Could be me! I don't know!
The Prompts:
***
1.) Write a limerick.
***
2.) Normal is...
***
3.) Describe a memorable camping experience.
***
4.) What's the best thing that has happened this week?
***
5.) Did you have a childhood hideout? Where? Describe it.
***
6.) Words that hurt me.
***
I choose #2
NORMAL IS...
Chaotic mornings, kids arguing, everyone racing to complete the things that weren't finished the night before. I wake up with the boys at 6 a.m., THEY ARE BOYS... how long can it possibly take to get ready in the morning? I mean REALLY!!!
We have to leave the house by 7:30 to make it to school for Will by 7:50.
We don't go to school in our city, so we need to get on that freeway...ideally... by 7:35.
You would think it would take MAYBE 20 minutes for a boy to brush, dress and eat breakfast.
BUT, because they didn't get their clothes out the night before, or fill their backpacks,
they have to run around.
I have stopped nagging them to do what I want the night before and in the morning. It
is no way to live life. They know what needs to be done. If they make the choice to dawdle, I have a solution.
Now... I just calmly get my keys... rattle them, start my car, pull out of the driveway, idle for a minute or two, THEN they get the message that I am driving to school with or without them.
If I ever have to drive to school without them, (sometimes they think I won't leave without them, and I have done it before when one of them refused to hurry) I will march up to their admin. buildings and call them from there, and let them know they had better call a cab to get their butts to school, because if Mama comes home and finds them there... they are gonna wish they were in
Military school.
It cures the ailing dawdling child for quite some time.
He didn't call a cab, he called is Nana.
Whatever... it worked for a while.
So that's morning...
During the day... I HAVE THE ENTIRE HOUSE TO MYSELF...
I clean, work my Pampered Chef Business, run errands, blog...(LOL), write pages for my books, field phone calls about our catering business,
and start prepping dinner at 2:00 p.m.
At 2:40, My day really starts... and then it's
Mama Taxi for the rest of the night.
Three Baseball practices, one Basketball practice,Tae Kwon Do, Dinner,
Homework, Showers, Bedtime.
The next day... it starts all over again.
I love my days home.
I was with kids in the house for 10 solid years and I feel like
I really need to savor this alone time now.
I will lunch with my friends, get my nails done, garden, sweep the pool.. whatever I want.
I have my husband to thank for that.
Never a day goes by that I don't Thank God for him and how he takes care of us.
I know this sounds backwards nowadays... but he gets a hot meal every night, and I don't
nag him to do housework with me. He fixes everything and builds everything.
So that's normal, as far as a typical day goes.
Not terribly exciting... but the kids and hubby make it all worthwhile.

20 comments:

  1. WOW....sounds EXACTLY like mine!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My child dawdles too! It just makes me want to pull my hair out! Seriously, how can it take ten minutes to put on a pair of socks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me glad my husband deals with the morning routine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so hectic - but I bet you wouldn't want it any other way! :) Loved this post - it was heart warming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you're telling me it doesn't get better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle Girl outnumbered...

    HA HA HA HA HA AHA

    yOU ARE SOOOO FUNNY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow. Your day makes my head spin. You must sleep really well at night. Terrific post. Glad you have some time to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly! My boys take f...o...r....e...v...e....r to get anything done! I always thought boys were faster but oh no!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The prompt was late. I checked yesterday and it wasn't up.....that Bachelor took precidence, I think. :) Normal is busy, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have left Hunter home twice. At least once a week he chases my car out of the driveway.

    I love your Normal! It seems a lot like mine, only I have a few more kids and few less activities. THANK GOD!

    I think all of us SO Cal bloggers need to get together for dinner! Are you up for it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I guess you can't use a sticker chart anymore when they are that age...I will remember your sage words!
    That sounds like a great day to me-Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our biggest problem in the morning is shoes. They can never find them. EVERY DANG MORNING!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lori... no sticker charts and cute little rewards are things of the past now...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Saundra...you crack me up. I LOL at your last comment on my blog. I am loving your blog so much lately. I am sorry I suck at commenting. I just spend way to much time reading blogs while my boys are destroying my house!! Just know that I love your blog even if I dont give you regular comment love!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds exhausting... on the relaxing and back to exhausting!!!
    What a wild, full life you lead!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same "not terribly exciting" life. But I wouldn't change it for anything! Aren't we lucky?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that was great ...... visiting from writers workshop

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are definitely one busy mama & wife! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for making my normal seem actually normal! Oh the joys of motherhood! We (Tez and I) get up at 6am too and leave at 7:30am and he will be getting ready up to the very last second. The younger ones get up at 7 and are done but what takes so long to get ready for a 15yr old boy! He doesn't even really have hair!

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Comments! I just loooooove comments!
If you have a blog, I will come visit and comment on yours!!! I promise! No Anonymous comments though... if you can't play nice.. you can't play at all.