Monday, August 25, 2008

Reading

Have you ever read an Erma Bombeck book?
Okay, make me feel really old and ask a question like "Who is Erma Bombeck?" and I might hafta hit ya!
I absolutely ADORE her and her writing style.
My first foray into her books came when I was in private school in elementary. Her books were some of the rare secular books available to us in the school library, and the title of it caught my eye right away.
"The Grass is Always Greener over the Septic Tank"
I have been a voracious reader since kindergarten. My Mother couldn't keep up.
My favorite field trips were to the library... hands down.
That book kept me in stitches, and then I was hooked.
My reason for this post?
I have one son that avoids reading like the plague. I have one that I literally have to put on restriction from reading, and one that reads every single day for pleasure, and one that won't even read a stop sign to save his own life.
And I am trying to find material that MIGHT interest him for longer than 30 seconds.
I think Erma Bombeck will do the trick.
I hope so anyway.
I met a lovely woman at Market Night this week, and she was passing out tutoring services pamplets and I spoke with her at length about Non Reader Boy.
She told me not to worry. She asked me if he CAN read. I said, " Of course he can read...I've asked him to read to me a lot this summer, and he reads wonderfully!" He's quick, knows all the words, sounds them out when he doesn't and everything! He just won't do it unless I beg or hound him to!
Wanna know what she told me?
"He's fine. He just doesn't enjoy it like you do...it's okay..."
You know what?
I believe her.
I guess not everyone reads for pleasure.
I'm still gonna buy him Bombeck books though.. I think they are right up his alley.
Thanks for all your help.
I feel much better now.
See? This is why writing is cathartic for me.
It helps me fix problems occuring only in my own head.
Unfortunately, you are along for the dreaded ride when you read my blog!
Welcome to my nightmare!
Thanks for listening!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Saundra,

    Try having him read A Wrinkle In Time by Madeline L'Angle. There is a series or try the James Patterson series Maximum Ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest... LOVED,LOVED,LOVED the entire Patterson series about Max and the other birds.

    I have Will read A wrinkle in Time, but for now that school started...he has to read The Chocolate War, and 7 other books.

    Alex (my non reader) will just have to be nagged everyday.

    ReplyDelete

Comment! Comments! I just loooooove comments!
If you have a blog, I will come visit and comment on yours!!! I promise! No Anonymous comments though... if you can't play nice.. you can't play at all.